Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Decision Making Model

1. Define goal or objective
Objective: Receive an MBA degree by Spring of 2014

2. Assess alternatives
- I can continue to pursue my financial planning career and not worry about an MBA.
- I have always wanted to go on to graduate school so that no matter what happens with my career, I will have something to fall back on.
- I hope to continue my financial planning career while receiving an MBA degree at the same time. I would probably work less, but hopefully be more efficient.

3. Gather information
- I know that I can have a very successful career as a financial planner without an MBA.
- I am assuming that if my financial planning career doesn’t work out for me, I will have nothing to fall back on besides a Bachelor’s degree.
- I should look at what other opportunities are out there for ex-financial planners. Maybe other options are available that would be good back-up plans besides an MBA.
- The internet is a great source as far as other alternatives. I should also ask a couple of ex-financial planners that I know about what their financial planning careers has led them to now.

4. Assess outcomes or consequences
- The probability that I will be successful as a financial planner is actually like 3:10, which aren’t very high odds. However, I feel that they will be higher odds for me.
- The probability that an MBA will help my career and professionalism in the future is 10:10.
- I really want to get an MBA because I know it will also help me understand my profession better as well. I know that people will have more confidence to trust me with their finances when they see I am qualified through my education and experience.
- I am willing to give up a couple years of a lower income than I will be accustomed to because of going to school full-time.

5. Establish a plan of action
- My plan of action is to continue to pursue an MBA degree by the spring of 2014.
- I will start my MBA work in the fall of 2012 and finish in the spring of 2014.
- I do think that my plan of action states a clear objective.
- I plan to sign up for a KAPLAN class for the spring of 2011, re-take the GMAT in the summer of 2011, and apply for school in the fall of 2011.
- I plan to visit three of the eight schools I apply for before I submit my applications.
- I also plan to continue to work as much as I can as a financial planner while I attend graduate school.

No comments:

Post a Comment